Frequently Asked Questions
Medimobile is a medical practice operating throughout Australia and New Zealand that offers onsite, workplace Influenza (flu) vaccinations. We were founded by Dr Kirsten Baulch MBBS FRACGP in 2003, and Dr Baulch remains as our Medical Director to the present day. In 2018, we vaccinated over 230,000 people against flu, making us the largest provider of workplace flu vaccination services in the Southern Hemisphere.
Our customers are businesses and government departments across Australia and New Zealand who wish to protect their employees from flu.
Our customers pay the costs of our nurses visiting their workplace, as well as the cost of the vaccines. As per the legislation, none of the cost of an employer-initiated health initiative can be billed to Medicare.
We employ approximately 340 Immunisation Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, and registered Doctors who work within our team and travel to workplaces and clinics in cities, towns and remote communities to bring a high quality, personalised service to businesses of any size in any location.
- Australia’s leading provider – Over 10 years’ experience specialising exclusively in workplace flu programs
- Australia’s largest workforce of Nurse Immunisers, Nurse Practitioners, and Doctors offers you choice and redundancy that no other provider can offer
- Most highly qualified team – Operated by our Medical Director who is supported by a team of over 300 Nurse Immunisers and eleven General Practitioners providing free telephone medical advice to your employees via our medical advice hotline
- Highly developed bespoke online booking system, FluBookings and online flu management portal, FluManager provides a service of unparalleled ease and reliability for your organisation
- Free mobile app (FluApp) offering a world-first educational experience, enhanced booking features and online Flu Medical Certificates for your employees
- FluKits, our cold and flu education and prevention kits, available for you to purchase for your employees if you wish
- Registered and insured in all States, Territories and regions to ensure the highest level of compliance with all legislation governing the operation of workplace flu programs
- Trusted by over 4000 businesses annually to deliver a quality medical service, on time, with the highest level of care
- The best service. The finest care. Experience the Medimobile difference.
In Australia in 2019 there is only one main type of flu vaccine available. This is the Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (QIV) which is offered by Medimobile as part of our workplace flu vaccination programs. The Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (QIV) is suitable for adults up to 64 years of age. This vaccine aims at giving even broader protection than the old Trivalent vaccine (TIV) by providing protection against one extra B strain of influenza. The Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (QIV) protects against four strains of influenza (two A strains and two B strains). The A and B strains commonly cause influenza in children and adults. In February 2018 the Australian Government announced that it would provide a new type of High Dose Trivalent Influenza Vaccine (TIV) for those aged 65 and older. This is because those 65 and older appear to need a higher dose to gain the same immune response as younger adults and children. Also, those over 65 are more susceptible to Influenza A strains, and the High Dose TIV protects against two A strains and also one B strain (the B strain appears to be less implicated in older people). Medimobile does not offer the High Dose Trivalent Influenza Vaccine (TIV) as part of our workplace flu vaccination programs.
The reported cases of Influenza increased significantly in 2017 and it is estimated that the 2017 Influenza season (at 8 September) cost Australian businesses $114.6 million worth of lost labour productivity.1
The following charts show a year by year comparison of total Australian flu notifications and lab confirmed cases of flu for 2012 through to 2017. Antigenic drift that occured during the flu season meant that the only vaccines Australia had available were not a perfect match to the circulating strains of flu. This reduced the effectiveness of the vaccine. Every year the vaccine is reformulated according to World Health Organisation recommendations based on their prediction of the mostly likely circulating strains. Often this prediction is based on the strains seen in the Northern Hemisphere and also longer-term flu strain trends. In most years, their prediction is remarkably accurate.
This year a new high dose flu vaccine is available in Australia to individuals aged 65 years and above.
This new high dose flu vaccine (Fluad or Fluzone) is a trivalent (3-strain) flu vaccine available under the government’s National Immunisation Program (NIP) and is only suitable for individuals aged 65 years and above.
Due to the high dose flu vaccine only being available under the NIP, not available for private purchase and not suitable for individuals under 65 years of age, Medimobile is unable to supply or administer the high dose flu vaccine. If you are aged 65+ we suggest you see your GP to access this high dose flu vaccine.
It is important for any individual in this age group (65+ years) to be vaccinated and therefore if any individuals aged 65+ are unlikely to attend their GP to receive this high dose flu vaccine it is recommended that they proceed with Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine (which Medimobile provides) to ensure that they are vaccinated.
More information is available here: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/health-mediarel-yr2018-hunt020.htm